Table of contents
Sending and receiving documents with a fax machine is fairly easy, but if you’ve never had to use one before, it can be a little confusing.
Here’s how to set up and use your fax machine to quickly send and receive important documents.
How to Set Up a Fax Machine #
First, you need to make sure your fax machine is set up and ready to go.
Follow these steps to do so:
- Plug the fax machine into a power source
- Connect the phone line
- Load toner or ink
- Make sure the fax machine has paper
- Turn the fax machine on
To check the phone line connection, pick up the fax machine’s phone and check for a dial tone. If you hear a dial tone, you should be good to go. If your fax machine doesn’t have a phone, connect an external phone to check for a dial tone.
Once everything is set up, you can run a test to make sure your fax machine is ready to send and receive documents. Simply call the fax number, and if the fax machine picks up, you’re ready to get started.
How to Send a Fax #
Follow these steps to send a fax:
- Enter the document you want to fax into the document feeder. If you have multiple documents, put them in the order that you want them to be sent
- Dial the fax number for the receiving fax machine
- Select Fax or Send to send the fax
- After sending the fax, you should receive a confirmation page
- Remove your documents
How to Receive a Fax #
Receiving a fax is simple and only requires you to make sure your fax machine is prepared to receive and print documents.
Here’s how to do so:
- Make sure your fax machine is set up and operable
- Ensure the fax machine has enough ink/toner and paper
- The fax machine phone will ring. Don’t pick it up — the fax machine will automatically receive and print the document(s)
While the sender should receive a confirmation from their fax machine that the fax was successfully transmitted, it’s always a good idea to contact them personally to confirm receipt.